Good genes are the surest path to full, sexy lips, but if you’re not born with them, there are some great lip plumping products out there for that next-to-natural look. We’ve put together a guide to the best lip plumpers for you to try in 2019: the tried and true, and the hot new products loved by beauty editors and influencers alike.
Top 6 Lip Plumping Serums and Glosses for 2019
1. BeautyGARDE Swell Lip Volume Serum: A new lip plumping serum that does not rely on burning or stinging ingredients! If you want plump lips, but don’t like irritating ingredients, you’ll want to check out Swell Lip Volume Serum. With a combination of patented peptides, rehydration spheres, repair lipids, BioRetinol Revinage® to enhance your lip volume and deliver a softer, more hydrated pout in 30 days. Swell can also fill in and reduce the appearance of fine lines around the outside of the lips. Wear it under your favorite lip color and put it on at night for best results.
2. Too Faced Lip Injection Lip Gloss: a clear gloss that uses tingling ingredients to stimulate blood flow and increased color to the lips. With over 90k “loves” on Sephora.com. $14-$28.
3. Dior Addict Lip Maximizer Plumping Gloss: this new lip plumping gloss comes in 8 new shades, including 2 with a shimmer finish. A popular brand with consistently positive reviews by beauty editors, influencers and consumers. $34.
4. Buxom Full-on Plumping Lip Gloss: Buxom’s tingling lip plumping gloss comes in either a polish gloss or a cream gloss, so you can choose your preferred texture. Buxom has the widest range of color choices available in plumping glosses. The polish gloss is available in a metallic finish, a shimmer finish, or a high-shine finish. It comes in 47 colors. The cream gloss is shimmer-free, and comes in 25 different colors. $21.
5. Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Plumping Gloss: with a new formulation for better results. Vegan. Comes in 11 colors. $10.
6. e.l.f. Lip Plumping Gloss: this plumper has a cooling sensation when applied. e.l.f. Cosmetics is consistently rated one of the better reasonably-priced brands. Available in 3 colors, at one hard to beat price. $5.
Best Lip Plumping Balms, Powders and Lipsticks for 2019
1. Buxom Pillow Pout Creamy Plumping Lip Powder: apply with a sponge applicator for a semi-matte, long-wearing finish. This product is unique both for its sponge applicator and the matte look it achieves. Available in 10 colors. $22.
2. Josie Maran Argan Lip Sting Plumping Butter: This lip butter comes in a tube like a lipstick. The only plumper on Sephora.com with a Clean at Sephora seal. Comes in clear or your choice of two tinted lip butters. $23.
3. Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment: hydrating lip balm with lip plumping benefits. With over 2k reviews, and a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Sephora.com $26.
4. Buxom Powerplump Lip Balm: a plumping, and hydrating balm with a satin finish. Another lip plumping product by popular brand Buxom. 4 color choices. $18.
5. Jane Iredale Just Kissed Lip Plumper Lipstick: This is the only plumper on the list that goes on like a traditional lipstick. With ginger root extract for plumping. Amazon.com sells this plumping lipstick in 7 colors. $26.
*For best results with all plumping serums, glosses, balms and powders, exfoliate your lips before applying.
What Are The Best Lip-Plumping Tools and Devices?
If you’re an instant gratification kind of girl, you might be interested in a device which will plump your lips in just a couple of minutes. Whether the device is a more elaborate electronic lip plumper or a small, hand-held tool powered by your own mouth, they all rely on the same solution to achieve fuller lips: suction. By trapping your lips in the device and creating a seal around them, the suction increases blood flow to the area. This causes your lips to swell temporarily.
Make sure to do your research and read reviews before you invest in any device which you attach to your lips to plump them. Overly strong suction can bruise or otherwise hurt your lips. Believe it or not, you can also stretch out the skin on your lips by pulling on them with a suction device too frequently. Exercise caution when using any lip plumping device.
Electronic Lip Plumping Devices
Juvalips is a well-known brand of electronic lip plumper. The company guarantees the safety of its product, and promises a careful, gentle plumping process with its device. Lips plumped with Juvalips will last for a few hours.
You’ll find other brands on Amazon.com which are cheaper than Juvalips, but they don’t come with the same safety guarantee. Juvalips costs $120-$130, depending on the model.
Other Lip Plumping Tools
If an electronic device is more than you want to commit to, but you’d like to try a suction tool, there are inexpensive silicone gadgets which you can buy that achieve the same results. This type of tool is small enough to toss into your purse to use on the go. There’s a wide variety of these plumping tools on the market, and they require you to create the suction with your own mouth.
Fullips is a brand that makes a simple oval shaped lip plumper, but you’ll find other brands of plumping tools shaped like apples, cherries, owls, fish, hearts and more. They run from $4 to $19 on Amazon.com, depending on the shape and brand. Like the electronic plumpers, Fullips and other brands like it enhance your lip volume for a few hours.
Best Hydrating Lip Masks and Treatments
Masks give you a fuller pout by delivering a big dose of moisture to your lips. Results are not long-lasting, but they can temporarily enhance both the volume and softness of your lips. They’re a great option to add to your winter beauty routine, when lips tend to be drier and flakier. The hydrogel mask on everyone’s lips is the TonyMoly Kiss Kiss Lovely Lip Patch.
Allure beauty editors love the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask. It’s not a sheet mask or hydrogel mask. The Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask is more of an overnight treatment for your lips, which you slather on before you go to bed. Of course, you don’t need to wear it just at night. You could put it on during the day under your favorite lip color, too.
NOTE: Prices of all products subject to change.
Want to learn more about enhancing your lip volume? Read our article How to Get Fuller Lips: Your Ultimate Guide to Lip Plumping.