Wondering if vegan nail polish is non toxic? You’ve come to the right place. Today, we’re going to cover everything you need to know. While you may assume the answer is yes - vegan anything tends to be nontoxic - that isn't always the case. That is especially true when it comes to cosmetic products like nail polish.
Not to worry, we’re here to clear everything up for you. Keep on reading to discover which ingredients you need to avoid in nail polish, how to find the best non-toxic nail polish, and more!
Why Does It Matter If Vegan Nail Polish Is Non Toxic Or Not?
Is vegan nail polish non toxic? It may or may not be - as you’ll soon find out. But why is it so important to be able to distinguish between the two types?
As you can probably guess, using toxic ingredients anywhere on your body is bound to produce negative effects. Harmful ingredients like toluene and xylene are common in nail polishes, and prolonged exposure to them can cause many negative health effects. While you may not feel these effects while applying - or even after a year or two - they will come back to haunt you in the future.
So, if you paint your nails regularly, you need to know if your nail polish is safe or not–even if it’s vegan.
So, Is Vegan Nail Polish Non Toxic?
Unfortunately, we can’t confidently answer this question for you. That’s because not all vegan nail polishes are created equal. BeautyGarde’s vegan nail polish is non-toxic, but not all brands take the same approach we do. That’s why it’s important to analyze the ingredient list every time you purchase new nail polish. Here’s what to look for:
How To Determine If A Vegan Nail Polish Is Toxic: Ingredients To Avoid
Unfortunately, many nail polishes branded as vegan still contain toxic ingredients. To be safe, here are the ingredients to avoid:
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP). This plasticizer gives a shiny look to nails, but it can also cause damage to your liver, kidneys, and reproductive system.
- Toluene. This chemical is common in nail polish and other cosmetic products like hair dye. It is also a neurotoxin that can cause neurological damage, hearing loss, decreased brain function, and so much more. Toluene is especially dangerous for pregnant women as it can also cause birth defects.
- Camphor. This substance is derived from wood and gives nail polish a shiny and glossy look. When inhaled, however, camphor can cause nausea, dizziness, and headaches.
- Formaldehyde. This is a colorless gas that is used to harden and strengthen nail polish. If you are allergic to it, using nail polish with formaldehyde can cause severe allergic reactions. Sometimes, it can also trigger asthma, nausea, and even miscarriage.
- Xylene. This chemical is also used for petroleum products and paint thinners, so you can imagine what it can do if you put it on your nails. With frequent exposure, xylene can cause problems in your respiratory system, kidneys, and gastrointestinal tract.
- Formaldehyde resin. This is a formaldehyde by-product that gives nail polish depth and shine. However, it is linked to skin allergies, dermatitis, and reproductive problems (in worst cases, miscarriage).
- Colophonium. Nail polish and other cosmetic products use colophonium due to its sticky quality. But if you are allergic to it, using nail polish with colophonium can lead to allergic reactions, including difficulty breathing and skin irritation.
- Organic halides (AOX). These substances are thinners that can cause nerve damage with frequent exposure. They can also be found in refrigerants, aerosols, and degreasing solutions.
Steer Clear Of These Toxic Ingredients When Shopping For Nail Polish!
Whether you’re using regular nail polish or vegan nail polish, avoid these ingredients at all costs. These toxic substances can not only harm your nails but your overall health as well.
But for an extra level of protection, we recommend going with vegan nail polish. Generally, vegan nail polish contains no animal products or by-products whatsoever. Instead, it uses plant-based ingredients like horsetail extract and garlic extract. Curious? Check out these vegan nail polish ingredients.
Apart from causing no health issues, these vegan ingredients can actually improve nail health. So, by using vegan nail polish, not only are you helping protect the welfare of animals–but you are also making your nails stronger and healthier in the process.
However, always make sure to check the ingredient list. As we’ve said before, not all vegan brands use perfectly safe ingredients in their products. Keep a lookout for the toxic ingredients we’ve mentioned above to ensure your nail polish comes with no problems.
Looking For The Best Non Toxic Vegan Nail Polish?
If you’re looking for the best non-toxic vegan nail polish, BeautyGarde has got your back.
Our list of the best cruelty free nail polish features incredible non toxic options for you to try yourself. Our polishes contain horsetail extract, which is loaded with silica. This compound helps strengthen the cells of your nails. As a result, your nails will be less prone to chipping, bending, or breaking.
Another key ingredient in our nail polish is garlic extract. Garlic contains high amounts of selenium, a mineral that can help speed up the growth of your nails. So, if you’re trying to grow out your nails, our vegan nail polish is definitely the way to go.
More than that, our vegan nail polish boasts vegan certifications right on the bottle. You won’t have to worry about any animal products getting into your nail polish or any toxic chemicals that can ruin your health.
Is Vegan Nail Polish Non Toxic? Wrapping Things Up
So, is vegan nail polish non toxic? The answer depends on the brand. We maintain incredibly high standards for the quality of ingredients we use, so you’ll never have to worry about toxic products when you shop with BeautyGarde. However, we cannot confidently say the same for all brands.
With that in mind, always make sure to check the ingredients list. Refer to our list of toxic ingredients to ensure that your chosen vegan nail polish contains none of them.
But if you don’t want to play detective, choose BeautyGarde. Aside from being 100% cruelty-free, our vegan nail polishes are perfectly safe to use. Plus, we have colors that are to die for, so you won’t really miss out on the variety that regular nail polish provides. All the while you’ll be working to grow stronger, healthier, more beautiful nails.
Get our vegan and cruelty-free nail polish today and see what the hype is all about. To really get the whole BeautyGarde experience, take a look at our nail strengthener treatment - or better yet, our full nail bundles collection.